Our Award-Winning City Island Junior Sailing was created in 2018 to instruct young people in sailing on Eastchester Bay. We teach our children about the balance of forces in nature and help them appreciate the wonderful world in which we live. The camp is well known in the New York City area and enjoys a high reputation among children and young adults.
Our program is certified by US Sailing, and each child receives a US Sailing Certification of Accomplishment at the end of the program.
Founded by City Island Yacht Club, a home for sailors for the past 114 years.
Throughout the camp, our children learn the basics of sailing on a variety of boats (Opti, Laser, 420) with the goal to eventually bring them to a racing level. They will then have the option to participate in our weekly Thursday Night Junior Races, the CIYC Junior Regatta, and other regattas at local clubs in the area. Eventually, the children have the option to join our racing team and pursue sailing towards a career on the varsity level.
Our children do not only learn how to sail, they also learn about the science behind it. In 2020, City Island Junior Sailing was even awarded the Mary von Conta Prize for our outstanding S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program. In the program, children actively participate in hands-on projects and make frequent excursions to the local Oyster reef, to learn about the following topics:
• Tides and Currents – Learn how the moon affects the tides and currents.
• Marine Biology and Ecology – Study animals and plants in tide pools of theCity Island marine estuary.
• Physics of Sailing – Understand how wind and water interact with a boat hull and sails to make a sailboat move forward.
- 7:45am – 9:00am Optional Extended Care($50/week)
- 8:45am – Student Arrival
- 9:00am – 10:00am Landside Instruction/Rig Boats
- 10:00am – 12:00pm Sailing
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm Lunch
- 1:00pm – 3:30pm Sailing
- 3:30pm – 4:00pm Wash Down/Put Away Boats
- 4:00pm – 4:15pm Student Pick Up
- 4:00pm – 5:15pm Optional Extended Day($50/week)
Thursday Night Junior Racing
Use your skills in our Thursday Night Junior Series. No charge and open to children ages 8-16. Awards and dinner (fee) after each race.