CIYC Events Calendar
- This event has passed.
SAFE Disposal Event Bronx
October 22 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
What to Bring
- Automotive products such as motor oil, transmission fluid, and batteries
- Personal care items such as unwanted/expired medicines or cosmetics (i.e. Nail polish)
- Syringes (clearly labeled and packaged in a “sharps” container or other leak-proof, puncture-resistant container)
- Household products such as pesticides, paint, hazardous cleaners, compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Electronics – check the list of items that are considered electronics.
Download the checklist for future reference.
How to Package Items
Look for items with DANGER, POISON, or CAUTION labels. Read labels carefully for safe handling.
- Clearly label all products.
- Tightly seal containers.
- Don’t mix products or bring open containers.
- If an item is leaking, pack in a larger container and use an absorbent material, such as kitty litter or newspaper, to soak up excess fluid.
- Place containers upright in a sturdy box to transport them.
- Package syringes and lancets in a “sharps” container or other clearly labeled leak-proof, puncture-resistant container.
- Place TVs and computer monitors with broken glass in separate sealed bags or boxes.
What Happens to Collected Items
Materials collected are either recycled, blended for fuel, or sent to licensed hazardous waste treatment facilities for safe disposal.
Electronics are responsibly recycled or refurbished for reuse through ERI.
Unwanted medications are managed by environmental police and incinerated to prevent unintentional poisonings or entry into the water supply.
New to City Island Yacht Club?
Please see our Membership page for further information. We welcome new and prospective members to visit and to tour our facilities. Call the Club office at 718-885-2487